'Edwina Hayes numbers Michael Parkinson and Perez Hilton among her fans. Her beautifully written songs and charming stage presence have won her a reputation as a true natural talent of gentle folk-americana. She has opened numerous shows for Jools Holland and Van Morrison and the title song of her album Pour Me A Drink was covered by Nanci Griffith who calls her 'the sweetest voice in England'. Her cover of the Randy Newman song 'Feels Like Home' was featured in the Cameron Diaz film My Sister's Keeper and has since had over five million plays on You Tube.'
'A person knows when it just seems to feel right to them, something they want to do. Feeling has still got a lot to do with it.' - Johnny Cash.
- May 17th 2013 - Trouble In The Fields - An Artists' Tibute to Nanci Griffith
The wonderful tribute album to Nanci Griffith 'Trouble In The Fields' is now available to buy from Paradiddle Records and also from CD Baby. Featuring a whole host of artists performing Nanci Griffith songs, the album has been loving put together over the past decade by The Kennedys and Edwina is very honoured to have been included on the album, performing 'Its A Hard Life Wherever You Go'. 'Trouble In The Fields' is a wonderful tribute album to a truly wonderful lady.
All proceeds will be going to the very worthy MAG charity.
- April 2nd 2013 - July Driffield Town Hall Gig - Edwina Hayes & Jon Byrd Double Bill with Stevie Mould Tickets Now On Sale - not to be missed!
Edwina will be playing a very exciting Double Bill concert with the amazing Alabama raised and Nashville based singer/songwriter Jon Byrd at Driffield Town Hall on Friday 19th July 2013 with support from the wonderful and talented Miss Stevie Mould.
Tickets are now on sale via the link below and please see Gigs page for details.
To order tickets please click here:
Huge Thanks to Kristen Jackson at www.moxieprintmarket.com for designing the poster x x x
- March 21st 2013 * * * Pembrokeshire Gig Date Change * * *
Due to this weekend's severe weather warnings, and with this lovely venue being on top of a mountain, Guy and Ruth at Pembrokeshire Intimate Gigs have suggested postponing this Saturday's gig for a couple of weeks and the new date will be Saturday 6th April. Ruth will be in touch with anybody who has booked a ticket already and hope to see anybody that was planning to come a week on Saturday instead, when hopefully there won't be any snow! Please see Gigs page for details.
Love Edwina xx
- March 17th 2013 - Chepstow Acoustic - Friday April 19th xx
Edwina will be returning to play at this lovely South Wales Acoustic Club in April. Please see gigs page for details x
- January 11th 2013 - Happy New Year!
Lots of new concert dates and festivals have been added to the Gigs page for 2013 and new ones will be added as they come in. Its looks like being another happy and busy year whizzing about playing all over and there will be a new album this year too. Working title at the moment for that is 'I Love Bob Dylan and I'd Like To Be Thinner'. :o) Thankyou as always to all of you who come along to gigs or buy a CD or drop me a line, its very much appreciated and Ive loved meeting so many of you all at gigs this past year. If you didn't come along I'd be playing to myself at all these places so it really is a bonus indeed! Thankyou also to all the lovely people who comment on the Facebook page, its great fun and a lovely way to keep in touch. Here's to a wonderful year all round! Love Edwina xxx
- December 29th 2012 - David Ward Maclean - Best Christmas present ever xx
One of my favourite singer/songwriters and dearest friends Dave gave me this song on a blank CD wrapped up in a DVD box for Christmas and its the best gift that Ive ever received, honoured is not the word. It made my Christmas. Thankyou so much Dave xx
- August 19th 2012 - BBC Radio York
Edwina will be the guest on BBC Radio York's Dr Rock show this evening at 6pm for an hour of chat and songs with the lovely Doc.
You can tune in locally on 95.5 FM on listen online by CLICKING HERE. The show will be available to listen again to till Sunday August 26th x
- August 18th 2012 - BBC Radio Humberside
Edwina joined Neil Rudd for a chat on BBC Radio Humberside this morning ahead of the Hull Folk and Maritime Festival and Ralph McTell & Michael Chapman finale concert.
You can listen again online until Saturday August 25th by CLICKING HERE and the segment starts around 3.40 minutes into the show (after Donna Summer's disco version of MacArthur Park.) :o)
- August 14th 2012 - Corner Green by Christopher Holland
The lovely Christopher Holland's new album Corner Green was released yesterday and is now available everywhere! Edwina was honoured to sing a few backing vocals on this beautiful album and you can hear a clip of 'Higher Love' and all the other lovely songs on the album by CLICKING HERE x x x
- August 13th 2012 - WHCR Radio x
Edwina will be popping into Hull's WHCR FM this evening at 8pm for a chat and a song or two with Max Roberts on his Folk show about the upcoming Hull Folk and Maritime Festival this weekend.
You can listen live this evening just after 8pm by CLICKING HERE or tune in locally on 106.9 FM.
- August 9th 2012 - BBC Radio Humberside x
Edwina and Stevie Mould popped into BBC Radio Humberside last night for a chat and a song or two with the lovely Steve Massam.
You can listen to the interview on the BBC i-player until Thursday 16th September by CLICKING HERE and the segment starts around 1.38 hours into the show.
- July 2nd 2012 - Wrapped Around The World - Concert for Jon Byrd
There will be a fantastic concert at Driffield Town Hall on Saturday August 11th featuring lots of local artists to raise money for friend and fellow artist Jon Byrd following his recent car accident. Please see Gigs page for details.
To order tickets please click here:
- June 17th 2012 - My Sister's Keeper C4 TV premiere x
My Sister's Keeper airs on UK's Channel 4 tonight for the first time at 9pm.
- April 17th 2012 - Perthshire Amber - The Dougie MacLean Festival
In some very exciting news just in, Edwina has been invited to play at Dougie MacLean's lovely Perthshire Amber Festival in October. Details are on the Gigs page and as a longtime fan of Dougie Edwina could not be happier or more thrilled!
Here is a video of Dougie performing his gorgeous song Caledonia x
- March 21st 2012 - Video
The lovely filmaker Lydia Esler has made a video for Edwina's song 'Want You To Stay'. The video was shot half in Scarborough at Mojo's Cafe on Victoria Road and half in York at The Habit on Goodramgate x
- March 11th 2012 - Starry Starry Night x
This is a demo version of Don McLean's lovely song Vincent recorded by Edwina x
- March 5th 2012 - Wonderful Life x
This is a version of Colin Vearncombe's lovely song Wonderful Life recorded for fun with Rosalie Deighton and Amy Wadge.
- February 8th 2012 - BBC Radio Humberside
Edwina joined Martin Pierson and Rab Noakes in the BBC Radio Humberside Studio today for an interview about Folk Music with the lovely David Burns on his morning show. You can listen to the interview on the BBC i-player until Tuesday 14th February by Clicking Here and the segment starts around 2.32 hours into the show.
- February 3rd 2012 - My fab cousin Georgie!
My wonderful cousin Georgina Hayes rasied a total of £2,153.32 at her charity fundraiser on January 20th and will set off later this month to climb Mount Kilimanjaro. For more info and details of her amazing expedition please Click Here.
Love Edwina xx
- January 24th 2012 - BBC Radio Guernsey x
Edwina did an interview for BBC Radio Guernsey live from Guernsey Airport last Friday, before that evening's charity concert at The Captain's organised by Edwina's cousin Georgie Hayes. Click Here to hear the interview on BBC i-player 'listen again' till 31st January, the interview starts around 2.39 minutes into the programme, just after 'Working My Way Back To You Babe' by the Detroit Spinners. :o)
- January 11th 2012 - More Gigs! x
Lots more gigs have been added to the Gigs page including Scotland, Milton Keynes, Oxford, Kent, London, Darlington, Merseyside and many more! Please see Gigs page for details...
- December 27th 2011 - Live video x
This is a video taken by the lovely Kenny Mach at the equally lovely Ian James's Birthday Party in Rugby a few months ago.
- December 5th 2011 - Janice Long BBC Radio 2 x
The lovely Janice Long played Feels Like Home on her BBC Radio 2 show last night after hearing Edwina sing at Alex and Kerry's lovely wedding on Saturday. You can listen again to the show on Janice's Radio 2 Page and you can hear Janice chatting about the wedding and playing Feels Like Home from around 15 minutes in and the link will be active till Sunday 11th December.
- October 1st 2011 - Good Things Happen Over Coffee digital release x
Edwina's Good Thing Happen Over Coffee album is digitally released worldwide today. Please feel free to have a listen below.
- July 13th 2011 - Good Things Happen Over Coffee Review
The lovely Steve Rudd has reviewed Good Things Happen Over Coffee. You can read Steve's review over on the Press page.
- July 1st 2011 - Out On My Own x
Edwina's first album Out On My Own, which has been out of print for quite a while now, is still available to order from CPR Entertainment who have a few copies left in stock. CPR Entertainment is a Nashville based company owned by Tommy Emmanuel's lovely manager Gina Mendello and you can order a copy by Clicking Here.
(Many Thanks to the lovely chap at The Lights in Andover and to Brian in Colne for the reminders to share this link!)
- June 17th 2011 - Younger Than That Now x
In some very exciting news just in, the Black Swan Folk Club Bob Dylan tribute album 'Younger Than That Now' is now available to buy x It features 31 artists all doing a song by His Bobness and Edwina does It Aint Me Babe x All the proceeds from album sales will go to Oxfam. You can have a look and listen to the songs on Amazon by Clicking Here.
- May 14th 2011 - You Tube Music Page x
A lovely lady called Noelle has made a You Tube page and popped the songs from Edwina's three CDs up on there. You can have a look and listen by Clicking Here .
- April 28th 2011 - Amazon!
Good Things Happen Over Coffee is now availble to buy from Amazon x You can see the listing by Clicking Here .
- April 20th 2011 - BBC Radio Scotland
The wonderful Iain Anderson played 'Nobody's Coming Around' last night on his BBC Radio Scotland Radio Show. You can listen again to the show until teatime on Tuesday the 26th April by Clicking Here .
- April 16th 2011 - Martin Simpson Support
Edwina has been invited to support the brilliant Martin Simpson at The Red Lion Folk Club in Birmingham on September 28th. Please see Gigs page for details.
- March 11th 2011 - Gigs Added!
Lots more Gigs have been added to the Gigs page! Edwina has also been confirmed to play at The Grassington Festival in June, Stainsby Folk Festival in July, Greenbelt Festival in August and The Mendip Folk Festival in September, and more dates are being added weekly. Please see the Gigs page for details.
- February 21st 2011 - BBC Radio Scotland
The lovely Iain Anderson has been playing songs from Good Things Happen Over Coffee on his BBC Radio Scotland Radio Show. For info about Iain's show and to listen online please Click Here .
- December 9th 2010 - Royal Albert Hall
Edwina has been invited to perform Feels Like Home at the Royal Albert Hall on Thursday December 9th at a Charity Concert called 'Christmas Carols with the Stars'. The event is sold out sadly but you can read about it on the Albert Hall website.
- December 8th 2010 - Good Things Happen Over Coffee now available to Order!
Edwina's new album Good Things Happen Over Coffee is now available to order!
The official release date will be 11th February 2011 when it will be available to buy on i-tunes, amazon mp3, and many other retailers worldwide. Till then it is available to buy here on the website by clicking the link below.
As always, worldwide shipping is available when ordering here on the website.
Please note that the last guaranteed posting dates for Christmas this year are:
UK - 21st December
Europe - 11th December
USA - 10th December
Worldwide - 8th December
To order a copy of Good Things Happen Over Coffee please click here:
Good Things Happen Over Coffee Track Listing:
1. Nobody's Coming Around
2. Famous Blue Raincoat
3. Tell Me So
4. Speed of the Sound of Loneliness
5. What Happens Now
6. Long Highway
7. Baught and Sold
8. Bend in the Road
9. Love Unknown
10. Go Crazy
11. I Can't Stop Loving You
- October 28th 2010 - Nobody's Coming Around
'Nobody's Coming Around', the first song from Edwina's new album, is now available to listen to on the music page. Please feel free to pop and have a listen!
- October 22nd 2010 - Instrumental version of Feels Like Home
Following several requests, the instrumental version of Feels Like Home is now available to download from i-tunes, Amazon mp3 and many other download retailers.
Here is a link to the page on Amazon mp3: Instrumental Feels Like Home
- April 26th 2010 - Cara Dillon Supports
Edwina will be supporting the lovely Cara Dillon at the Liverpool and Leamington Spa concerts of her forthcoming UK Tour in June and July. For all details please see the Gigs page!
- February 27th 2010 - Tomintoul Gig Rescheduled to May
Edwina's Tomintoul Gig was sadly cancelled today due to the heavy snow around Aviemore and has been rescheduled to Saturday May 29th. All tickets holders have been contacted and hope to see you all in May for a lovely evening x
- January 20th 2010 - Haiti Relief Concert in York
Edwina will be one of many local artists performing on Wednesday January 20th at The Evil Eye Bar in York to raise money for the Haiti Earthquake Appeal. Please come along if you can:
The Evil Eye
Tel: 01904 640 002
- January 4th - Happy New Year!
Lots of new dates for 2010 have been added to the Gigs page including Maidstone and Howden in March... Wakefield and Nottingham in April... Basingstoke in June... and Sedgefield Folk Festival and Helmsley Arts Folk Weekend in September...
More Gigs to follow!
- December 17th - Nanci Griffith Tour Support
Edwina has been invited to support the brilliant and lovely Nanci Griffith on her UK January/February 2010 Tour. The Gigs page has been updated with all the details of all the shows!
- November 18th - Ryedale Live Christmas Charity CD
Ryedale Live have just released a double Compilation Christmas CD made up of songs donated by artists who've performed at the club over the past 18 months. Its been put together by Rob Davies and the Ryedale Live Team to raise money for Ryedale Special Families.
The CD is £7.99 and is available to buy from Borders and Banks Music in York and from Hoppers Newsagents in Malton or by simply emailing email@example.com or phoning 01653 690503 to order via the internet or by telephone.
Edwina chose Joni Mitchell's The River for her contribution and on a personal note is thrilled to be included in a CD featuring so many fantastic friends and artists including David Ward Maclean, Holly Taymar, Paul Liddell, Andy Stones, Val Marshall, Stan Graham, Anna Shannon, Dave Swann, Eoghan Colgan, Katriona Gilmore & Jamie Roberts to name but a few!
Rob was a guest on BBC Radio York last night and you can hear him being interviewed and chatting about it all by clicking the 'listen again' link below and going to 1.09 minutes into the show. You can also hear Edwina's version of The River a little later on in the interview and you can tune in to listen again to the show till next Monday teatime, 23rd November.
Please do get a CD if you can! Its a bargain at £7.99 and its for such a good cause!
To listen again please Click Here.
- November 17th and 23rd - My Sister's Keeper DVD release USA and UK
My Sister's Keeper, the film featuring Edwina's version of Feels Like Home, will be released on DVD in the UK on November 23rd and in the USA on November 17th and will be available to order from Amazon and most online retailers.
- November 4th 2009 - Gig in Austin, Texas
Edwina will be playing a gig in Austin Texas on Wednesday November 4th at Sam's Town Point. See Gigs page for details!
- October 2009 - America! :o)
Edwina will be in America for all of October catching up with friends in Nashville and doing one or two shows around the country. Stayed tuned to the Gigs page for last minute roadhouse and coffeeshop shows!
- September 28th 2009 - Tickets Tickets Tickets!!
Tickets for Moonbeams Acoustic on November 13th, the first show of Edwina's Winter Tour are now available to order by clicking here:
Tickets for the London show on November 28th are also still available from the Gigs page but there are only 16 left!
- August 11th 2009 - Sam Baker Support Leicester
Edwina will be supporting the lovely Texan singer/songwriter Sam Baker for the third time at the Musician in Leicester on September 3rd as he tours the UK with his new album Cotton. See Gigs page for details.
- July 8th 2009 - Number 2 in i-tunes Chart!
Edwina's version of Feels Like Home reached Number 2 in the UK i-tunes Singer/Songwriter Chart and Number 3 in the US i-tunes Folk Chart.
- June 20th 2009 - My Sister's Keeper Clip - A Day at the Beach
Here is a clip from My Sister's Keeper featuring Feels Like Home. The film opens in cinemas on Friday June 26th.
- June 9th 2009 - The Loving Kind by Nanci Griffith released today
Nanci Griffith's new album The Loving Kind is released today featuring Nanci's version of Edwina's song Pour Me A Drink. You can listen to a snippet on Amazon.com by clicking here.
- May 22nd 2009 - My Sister's Keeper Soundtrack
The Motion Picture Soundtrack for My Sister's Keeper is now available to order from Amazon.com by clicking here.
- May 17th 2009 - BBC Raw Talent
Edwina played a couple of songs on this weeks BBC Radio Humberside's Raw Talent show, in the last 20 minutes of the programme and you can listen again until Sunday 23rd May by clicking here.
- May 11th 2009 - Pour Me A Drink now on i-tunes and Amazon mp3!
Pour Me A Drink is now available to download from i-tunes by clicking here.
Pour Me A Drink is now available to download from Amazon mp3 by clicking here.
- April 27th 2009 - Roger McGuinn Tour
Edwina has been confirmed as tour support for Roger McGuinn on his June UK Tour. For details of the tourdates please see the Gigs page.
- April 16th 2009 - My Sister's Keeper Trailer
The trailer for the upcoming film My Sister's Keeper has now been released and the film will be in UK and US cinemas on 26th June, and Australian cinemas on 30th July. The film features Edwina's version of Randy Newman's 'Feels Like Home' from her Pour Me A Drink CD.
- 10th - New Album
Edwina's new album now has a title and will be called 'Good Things Happen Over Coffee'. More details to follow!
- 20th - My Sister's Keeper
Edwina's version of the Randy Newman song 'Feels Like Home' has been confirmed as being included in the upcoming film My Sister's Keeper. The film stars Cameron Diaz, Alec Baldwin, Joan Cussack and Jason Patric and is due for release in cinemas on June 26th this year in the UK and USA and July 30th in Australia.
- 2nd - New Album
Edwina's new album is well underway and will be released later this year. More details to follow!
- 1st - Nanci Griffith Tribute Album
Edwina has recorded an acoustic version of Nanci's song 'Hard Life' for an upcoming tribute album to the lovely lady. Edwina's song will feature alongside performances by Tom Russell, Carolyn Hester and a whole host of fantastic artists all paying tribute to Nanci and her gorgeous songs. More details to follow!
- 31st - Lots More Gigs!
Lots of new gigs have been added to the Gigs page, with lots more coming in. Please look in at the Gigs page for details!
- 1st - Happy New Year!
Thankyou for all your support and encouragment in 2008. It was a fantastic year with the release of Pour Me A Drink, the lovely feature by the totally fab Perez Hilton and so many wonderful gigs and festivals. Thankyou to everyone who bought my CD or came to a gig or dropped me a line or who simply found themselves here and had a look round my website!
Have a fantatsic 2009!
Hope to see you on the road somewhere!
Love Edwina xx
- 11th - Nanci Griffith
The lovely Nanci Griffith is going to record Pour Me A Drink for her upcoming album. Nanci is one of Edwina's biggest inspirations and for her to be recording one of Edwina's songs is a wonderful honour and really, really exciting. Details of Nanci's new album will be posted here when they come in.
- 2nd - Eddie Izzard!
Edwina and the lovely Astrid Brook were treated to tickets to see Eddie Izzard perform his Stripped show at the Lyric Theatre, London tonight. Edwina is a huge fan of Eddie and the whole evening was magical from start to finish! If you're an Eddie fan (and if you're not you should be!) please see the links page for Eddie's website where you can find details of his 2009 UK Tour of Stripped.
- 8th - My Sister's Keeper
Im some very exciting news, Edwina's version of 'Feels Like Home' by Randy Newman from 'Pour Me A Drink' has been provisionally chosen to appear in the film 'My Sister's Keeper' directed by Nick Cassavettes. The film stars Cameron Diaz and Alec Baldwin and is due for release in June 2009 and more details will be posted as soon as they are confirmed! Fingers crossed! You can keep up to date with the film's production progress by clicking here.
- 4th - Joan Coffey Album 'Struggles and Lulls'
Joan Coffey's brilliant album 'Struggles and Lulls' on which Edwina appears, is now available to order online from Joan's website by clicking here. Edwina sings harmony vocals on the song 'Treading Water'.
- 28th - Belfast UTV
Edwina is going to Belfast to sing at Michelle and Kyle's wedding and will be performing on UTV Life at 5.30pm on Thursday 28th August.
You can tune in to UTV in Northern Ireland or via Sky TV from the rest of the UK.
- 23rd - Steve Earle Night
Edwina will be taking part in a Steve Earle night in York on September 5th hosted by the fab GT Turbo. See Gigs page for details.
- 10th - Aled Jones
Aled Jones will be playing Feels Like Home from 'Pour Me A Drink' this coming Sunday 10th August on his BBC Radio 2 show 'Good Morning Sunday' as part of a Randy Newman feature.
You can listen again on the BBC Radio 2 website 'Good Morning Sunday page until Saturday 16th August.
- 3rd - Nanci Griffith Support!
Edwina has been confirmed as support to the lovely Nanci Griffith and her Blue Moon Orchestra at the Wedgewood Rooms in Portsmouth on July 27th.
For all info please see the Gigs page.
- 30th - 'Pour Me A Drink' Lighters are now available to order!
To purchase a Pour Me A Drink Lighter in gold please click here:
To purchase a Pour Me A Drink Lighter in silver please click here:
(To order a mix of Gold and Silver lighters, please click either button and use the add a note feature on your orderform)
- 21st - More Festivals!
Edwina has been confirmed to play at the Bladnoch Folk and Blues Festival in Scotland, The Fylde Folk Festival in Fleetwood, The Rock and Roots Festival in Herefordshire, Stainsby Folk Festival in Derbyshire and The Wetherby Festival in Yorkshire. Please see Gigs page for details!
- 11th - Divas Night at The Tap!
Edwina will be playing a very special concert on July 4th alongside brilliant songstresses and fellow Tanglewood ladies Astrid Brook and Holly Taymar. See the gigs page for details and click on the poster for details about The Tap.
- 8th - Festivals
Edwina has been confirmed to play at this year's Beverley Folk Festival, The Edinburgh Fringe Festival and Driffield's Tribfest. See Gigs page for details of these and stay tuned for more Festival dates coming soon!
- 12th - Scott Dixon Guitar Cases in Hull have given Edwina one of their original fab new hard cases to use on tour!
Chamberlain Business Centre
Hull HU8 8HL
Tel: +44 (0)1482 223476
Fax: +44 (0)1482 210677
- 10th - Edwina will be popping into BBC Radio Humberside at 9pm to play a few songs. See gigs page for details.
- 2nd - Aled Jones will be playing one of Edwina's songs today around 8.20am on his Radio 2 show Good Morning Sunday.
You can tune in at 88-91 fm or listen again online until March 8th by Clicking Here.
- 1st - Edwina now has a My Space Group. Click here to see it!
- 27th - Edwina will be playing at the fab Little Num Num Club in York in March x See Gigs page for details.
- 17th - The lovely and amazing Perez Hilton featured Edwina this evening on his brilliantly entertaining website www.perezhilton.com.
Edwina is a longtime fan and admirer of Perez and his fab website and can't Thank him enough for his generosity and kindness!
If you're a newcomer to Perez then pop in to his website as soon as you can, it's a lot of fun!
Thankyou Perez! x
- 12th - Edwina's second album 'Pour Me A Drink' will be released on 22nd February 2008.
To pre-order a copy please see link at the top of this page!
- 8th - Facebook now has an official Edwina Hayes Facebook Page. Please feel free to pop in and have a look!
- 6th - Edwina now has an IAC Music page. Click Here to see!
- 2nd - Edwina has been booked to play 2 evenings at the fabulous new Wier Bar and Grill in Hessle. The shows will be in February and March and all details are now up on the gigs page.
- 31st - This will be Edwina's 11th year playing at the fantastic Rags Restaurant in Bridlington and she is proud and happy to be singing in the New Year with Julie, Les and all the gang! Happy New Year everyone!
- 30th - Edwina is named Pick of the Week in today's Guardian gig guide.
- 22nd - Edwina will be taking an extended break from Hummingbird due to two thirds of the band being on maternity leave!
Edwina wishes the girls well with the babies and would like to Thank everyone for supporting the band so fantastically this year by buying the CD and coming along to see us perform.
Special Thanks to ARM, Flying Sparks, Michael Parkinson, Nick Parkinson, Aled Jones, Hilary Robinson, Terry Wogan and Paul Rogers.
- 11th - Edwina has been invited to support the fantastic Gretchen Peters on her UK Spring Tour next year. Please see the gigs page for all the dates and details and Click here for Gretchen's website'.
- 24th - Edwina will appear as a guest on the fab new CD by Joan Coffey due to be released in the New Year. Look in at Joan's website for details!
- 4th - Christopher Holland's brilliant new record 'Everything You Can Imagine Is Real' is out now and features Edwina singing backing vocals on several songs.
Click here for more details about Chris and to hear some of his fab songs on his My Space page'.
- 31st - Edwina will be playing alongside some fantastic Artists at the Folk/Acoustic Extravaganza in York on Friday 8th June.
- 16th - Edwina has been invited to open the show for Van Morrison at Thetford Forest on June 9th. Edwina is over the moon to be supporting Van for a second time and you can find all the details on the Gigs page.
- 15th - Edwina will be performing at a fantastic concert in York on May 28th. See Gigs page for details.
- 17th - Edwina will be performing at a benefit concert in Hartlepool on Saturday May 12th. Do come along if you can!
- 5th - Two fantastic London double-bills have just been added to the gigs page. The first is with the super-talented and very lovely Jon Amor at the Halfmoon in Putney and the second is with the wonderful Joan Coffey at the Green Note in Camden. It will be Edwina and Jon's second time sharing a bill and a third time return to the Green Note for Edwina and Joan.
Click here for Jon's My Space page.
Click here for Joan's My Space page.
- 3rd - Posters are now up around York for the lovely City Screen gig on May 3rd!
- 17th - Edwina has recorded a version of 'Froggie Went A Courtin' for a forthcoming Children's Charity CD. Lots of fab artists have recorded songs for the project and more details will be posted here soon!
To listen to the song, which is Edwina's take on Bob Dylan's lovely version, go to her My Space page!
- 5th - Lots of new show dates have been posted up on the gigs page today!
- 3rd - Edwina has been in the studio recording songs for her 2nd record which will be released later this year.
- 26th - Edwina will be playing at the City Screen Folk Extravaganza in York alongside lots of amazing artists. For details please see the gigs page.
- 16th - In some exciting news just in Edwina has been invited to open the show for Nanci Griffith when she comes over to play a couple of shows in Spring. See the gigs page for details!
- 14th - Edwina will be playing alongside Jimi Alexander and Mike Newsham at the fab City Screen.
- 8th - The brilliant new album 'Four Lawn Hope' from Alastair Artingstall features Edwina singing backing vocals on several numbers as well as a whole host of fab special guests. Click here to have a look at Alastair's website.
- 28th - Edwina's gig at the Film Theatre has been changed to The National Theatre and the new address has been posted on the gigs page.
- 20th - York remembers Johnny Cash
- 17th - Edwina is reviewed by 'Wears The Trousers'
Edwina Hayes Half Moon Putney, London August 13, 2006
It's an accident of chance that a room out the back of some South London pub should be elevated above similar rooms in other hostelries to minor rock icon status. However, that's the Half Moon in Putney's good fortune and its none-more-black interior has seen performances by thousands of artists. On this particular rain-spattered evening, the select crowd who had forsaken an evening in front of the telly were treated to the distinctive country-folk sounds of rising star Edwina Hayes.
Despite having just come off the touring treadmill as special guest on Nanci Griffith's UK tour (at the specific request of Lubbock, TX's folkabilly queen, no less!) she seems genuinely delighted to be gracing the Half Moon's rather more bijou stage. Add in the 'adopted hometown' energy of a rare London show and the family and friends scattered among the audience and anticipation is running high.
Hayes graces the room with a beguilingly open, natural air that easily draws the audience in and wins them over. Sure, her vocal and performance style do owe a lot to her personal heroine, Griffith, but Hayes maturity as a writer belies her years and her performance is assured. Scattered among the anecdotes are songs from her debut album, Out On My Own, alongside others that are as yet unrecorded and covers of Gillian Welch and Randy Newman.
One perennial danger of solo acoustic gigs is that they can sometimes become a little monotonous. Hayes' gentle guitar style, however, mixes things up sufficiently that such a problem is avoided. In places, her country- style finger-picking lets the top strings ring clear like chiming bells, such as on the touching Leave A Light On For You, while numbers like Tell Me So witness a shift in the mood, elegantly lurching in a bluesier direction. However, Hayes' masterstroke is to take the opportunity of playing in the city to rope in song- writing buddy and longtime London session hound David 'Dzal' (pronounced 'diesel') Martin on second guitar, bringing further richness to the sound.
Although there is clearly a little busking going on with the chord sequences on occasion, the veteran's experience and professionalism pay dividends. Only the pickiest ear would detect any hesitation in his playing. Certainly his acoustic solo on I Can't Believe, his emotive slide on Tell Me So and his country blues twang-riffing on Long Highway catch the ear and linger in the memory. All in all, this was a hugely enjoyable evening and one that bodes well for Hayes' involvement in the Voices On The Verge-style singer-songwriter collective Hummingbird later in 2006.
~ Trevor Raggatt, Wears The Trousers, Sunday, September 17, 2006 (www.thetrousers.co.uk)
- 2nd - Edwina performs at the Summer Pudding concert at York's City Screen alongside Laura Hockenhull, Shonet, Holly Taymar, Emma Kieveley, Becca, Claire J Smith and Kate Bramley. Hosted in style by the fabulous Chord and Comedy Pete, the evening raised over 300 pounds for a local charity and was a magical evening!
- 21st - Edwina is interviewed on BBC Radio Shropshire by Marie Crichton on the Monday night Country Show. You can listen again until Monday the 28th by clicking here and Edwina's interview is 35 minutes into the show. Many Thanks to Andy Cole for helping to arrange the interview.
- 18th - The lovely Andrew Elias has added a feature about Edwina on Nobody's Inn to his gallery over on the Photos page.
Click here to have a look at a video clip of the show.
- 15th - Edwina is confirmed to play the finale night at the Acoustic Edinburgh Fringe Festival on Tuesday August 22nd. See gigs page for details.
- 26th - Edwina appears in the ITV show 'Nobody's Inn' which will be broadcast every day at 2pm on ITV from Monday 26th to Friday 30th June. The show features Edwina's friends Stuart and Monia in their endeavours to win a competition to run a Devonshire pub called The Royal Oak.
- 22nd - Edwina appears on the brilliant new CD 'Little Canaan' by Kate Bramley, singing backing vocals on some of Kate's fab songs.
Check out Kate's website and My Space page to find out more about it and hear some of the songs.
- 14th - Edwina appears as a guest on BBC Radio York's 'North Yorkshire Folk' with Michael Brothwell at 7pm - 9pm. To tune in online or listen again please look in at the BBC Radio York website.
- 19th - Edwina has been invited to play at Beverley's all new coffeeshop and restaurant Mozarts. The first gig will be on Saturday June 10th with more to follow. Please see the gigs page for details.
- Edwina has been invited to sing alongside GT Turbo from Boss Caine and the lovely Laura Hockenhull in a matinee show at Fibbers in York on Saturday May 20th which will be a lot of fun!
- At the moment you'll find Edwina in York most Thursdays (whenever she can get there) at Rob Hughes Olde Crow Acoustic Show at Ye Olde Starre Inn (9.30pm till late) and most Sundays at GT Turbo's acoustic evening at Dusk (10pm till very late!). Both are great nights if you fancy going along to play or just to listen and enjoy!
- Edwina has been confirmed to play at this years Beverley Folk Festival in June and will play on the Friday night supporting Eliza Carthy and again on the Saturday afternoon. Edwina has also agreed to play an extra acoustic set over the weekend tbc. See the gigs page for details.
- 15th - Edwina has been confirmed as the support for the lovely Nanci Griffith on her UK 2006 Summer Tour. Please look in at the gigs page for details.
- 11th & 18th - Edwina has been asked to do a couple of Saturday nights at The Royal Oak in Hooe, Plymouth by her friends Stu and Monia as part of a competition they are involved in which could lead to them winning the pub for a year! They are running the bar for a fortnight and are in competition with another couple who ran it for two weeks first! The whole thing is being filmed for a documentary which will air on telly in early summer. More details to follow!
- 22nd - Edwina is invited to open for Sandi Thom at the Pocklington Arts Centre in what will be a lovely night. Please see gigs page for details.
- 10th - Edwina will take part in the very first podcast by the uber-talented and totally amazing Mark Fox! Mr P, Paula and the usual team will be there and there's bound to be lots of banana-chucking, larking about and general up-your-flaps silliness! Have a look at the results here. podcast.mark-fox.co.uk
- 1st - In a wonderful start to the year, Michael Parkinson played 'No Idea' on his New Year's Day show today. Edwina can't Thank Michael enough for all his support and encouragement, he really has been fantastic.
- 17th - Edwina has now got a My Space page! You can have a look in at it here: http://myspace.com/edwinahayes
- An article about Edwina appears in this December's edition of Maverick magazine. The article features an interview with Edwina taken on the Nanci Griffith tour back in April. Click here for more details!
- Thursday 1st - Edwina finishes her 2005 run of opening shows for Jools Holland with a fantastic evening at Sheffield City Hall. She has had an amazing time on tour with Jools, the RBO and the lovely crew and can't thank them all enough for being so brilliant and friendly and so much fun!!
- The lovely Andrew Elias has once again updated his photo gallery with some photos from July's Van Morrison concert and some of the recent Jools gigs amongst other things! Go to the photos page to have a look!
- Sunday 23rd - Michael Parkinson played 'Eyes of A Stranger' on his Radio 2 Sunday Supplement show, towards the end of a fantastic interview with Joan Rivers, which was very lovely of him!
- Wednesday 19th - Edwina flew out to Ireland for 3 concerts opening the show for Jools Holland and his Rhythm & Blues Orchestra at the Belfast Waterfront Hall and Dublin's Olympia theatre. The ever-talented Andrew Elias will be posting some photos from the trip on his amazing Gallery over on the Photos page soon!
- Monday 3rd - Edwina has been invited to open the show for Jools Holland at a one-off concert for Radio 2. The concert will be performed and recorded in Aberdeen and Jools' set with hi R&B Orchestra is to be broadcast on Radio 2 later this year.
- Thursday 29th - Edwina has been invited to take part in a BBC Radio Lancashire live concert organised by Phil Brown and his fantastic 'The Drift' team. The show will air live after the news at 8pm and will run for an hour. Tune in online at www.bbc.co.uk/england/radiolancashire
- Sunday 18th - Michael Parkinson played 'Eyes of A Stranger' on his Radio 2 Sunday Morning Supplement show.
Edwina's song 'I Want Your Love' appears on the 'Acoustic Love' compilation album alongside tracks by various artists including Bob Dylan, Joan Armatrading, Jeff Buckley and Eva Cassidy. Click the Amazon box for more info or to buy.
- 21st - Michael Parkinson played 'No Idea' on his Sunday Suplement show on Radio 2
- 19th - Mariella Frostrup played the flip side to 'No Idea' a live version of 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow' on her Friday night Radio 2 Green Room programme
- Saturday 13th - Bob Harris played 'No Idea' on his equally fab Saturday night show!
- Friday 12th - Edwina played at Fairport Convention's Cropredy Festival. It was her first time playing at a UK festival and she had a fantastic weekend! Her highlights included seeing Richard Thompson and Beth Nielson Chapman play and the Fairport finale, especially the gorgeous version of Sandy Denny's 'Solo' song. A magical weekend!
- 5th - Edwina is invited to open 8 shows on Jools Holland's Winter Tour. For more info please look in at the gigs page. Also today, on the Johnny Walker show on Radio 2, Fairport Convention mentioned Edwina's forthcoming appearence at their Cropredy festival which was rather lovely of them!
- 4th - Edwina is set to release 'No Idea' as a single with a live acoustic version of 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow' as the B-side.
- 31st - Michael Parkinson played 'Eyes of A Stranger' on his Sunday morning Radio 2 show! Yey!
- Friday 22nd - The lovely Bob Harris played 'No Idea' on his fab Friday late night show.
- Sunday 3rd - Michael Parkinson played 'Eyes Of A Stranger' on his Radio 2 show + Edwina has been invited to support Daniel Beddingfeild at Liverpool Summer Pops on Thursday July 14th, see gigs page for details.
- Sunday 19th - Edwina performs 'The Road' on Songs of Praise. Click Here to find out more and see the performance.
- Friday 10th - In unexpected and thrilling news just in, Edwina is invited to open the show for her hero Van Morrison at his forthcoming concert at Audley End on July 16th! See 'gigs' page for details!
- Thursday 2nd - Edwina is interviewed live on air by the legendary Bernie Clifton at BBC Radio Sheffield!
- The wonderful Michael Parkinson played 'Eyes Of A Stranger' again on his Radio 2 show on Sunday 29th. In a lovely suprise later on in the afternoon Ed Stewart played 'Where I Belong' on his Sunday teatime show.
- The lovely Mariella Frostrup played 'Where I Belong' on her Radio 2 show 'The Green Room' on Friday 27th at 10:45pm
- Following recent plays by Bob Harris and Alex Leicester, Michael Parkinson played 'Eyes of a Stranger' on his Radio 2 show last Sunday 22nd
- The fab Andrew Elias has done a fantastic feature about the upcoming single 'Eyes of A Stranger' released on 25th April. Go to the Music page to see it!
- Check out the updated gallery on the photos page, featuring some photos from the Nanci Griffith concert at Bristol Colston Hall on 13th April!
- Edwina performs 'Eyes Of A Stranger' on BBC Look North and has an interview with Peter Levy.
- Edwina begins a series of Radio interviews all around the UK including many of the BBC and local stations.
- Edwina has filmed a version of 'The Road' to appear on Songs of Praise on 19th June (Father's Day!)
- Edwina records a duet with Shane Lynch for his forthcoming debut album
- Edwina performs 'I Want Your Love' on the Kelly Show in Belfast
- 20th - My Sister's Keeper